Last week (or the week before), I was walking and thinking about how the scale hasn’t moved in two months (I know, I know, yay for maintaining), and how I felt like I hadn’t made any progress with my fitness. I realized, all of a sudden, that I hadn’t been challenging myself. I was walking the same mileage, not really pushing myself, and I wasn’t changing how I was eating. Duh! In order for things to change, I have to change!
August is a big month for me. I’m turning 36 on the 7th (gifts are gladly accepted), starting work at a new college, and facing the end of summer. I’m also challenging myself. Here’s the plan.
1. 30 DAYS OF SHRED IN AUGUST I tried Shred in February, when I was just starting to work out. I made it through less than 10 minutes of Level 1 and couldn’t walk for the next 3 days. It’s been sitting on my dvd shelf ever since. When I saw Jaemie’s challenge, I decided to give it another try. Yesterday was the first day, and I dreaded it. I had to stop to rest a couple of times (I paused the dvd while I did so that I wouldn’t miss anything), but I DID IT! I’m a little sore today, but it’s nowhere near as bad as it was in February!
2. FIRST STRIDES I started C25K a couple of months ago, and petered out at week 2 when my ankles started to hurt. I know that my form is horrible, but I wasn’t sure what to do. I found this group, and it starts today. See the site for more information, but it’s a group of women who are all training for a 5K in October (one I was going to sign up for anyway!). I’m TERRIFIED. I haven’t participated in a group athletic activity like this since gym class in high school. But I’m going to give it my all, and learn as much as I can.
3. FOOD. I got out of the habit of planning, and was just eating whatever was reasonable point-wise (ok, and some unreasonable things). I’m back to planning, and trying to eat healthier, more nutritious foods.
4. TRACKING. Along with tracking everything I eat, I’m also going to track more fitness. I won a $50 Amazon gift card from the super awesome Laura and I used it to buy the FitBit I’ve been lusting after. I can’t wait until it’s here!
5. SCHEDULE. As of August 22, I’ll be teaching 5 classes between 2 colleges. I need to be super organized in order to stay sane with all of the prepping and grading, so I’m trying to schedule everything. My main priority for the past 16 months has been The Kid, and it will continue to be that way, but I need to start carving out time for myself. More importantly, I need to a) recognize that I’m not Super Woman and can’t do everything, and b) ask for help.
So, that’s my plan for August. Please hold me to it!
What’s your plan for the month? How do you challenge yourself?